Review: The Unquiet Grave

The Unquiet Grave The Unquiet Grave by Sharyn McCrumb
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

***NetGalley Review***

The book starts off in 1930 in an asylum for the insane. The lawyer, who helped defend a husband who was accused of murdering his wife back in 1897, has been institutionalized for attempting suicide. He begins his tale of the case to his doctor. Through him and others that were part of the case, we see what happens in 1897. The murdered daughter's mother tells the story of how Zona lead her life before she met her husband, how she met her husband, and the little bit of life she had after their marriage.
Her mother claims that Zona's ghost came to her to tell her that her husband murdered her. So the mother decides to get the law involved. For some reason, I think they didn't believe in her ghost story as much as they thought the husband was acting strangely. So Zona's body is exhumed. The autopsy proved she had been murdered. And so thus begins the trial of the Greenbriar ghost.

I enjoyed this book. Sharyn McCrumb's writing style is what I call Southern Gothic. While I know this is based on a true story, I myself don't believe in ghosts. I do find old ghost stories fascinating, though.

View all my reviews

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Review: Potions and Pastries

Review: Sleep Like a Baby

Review: Turkey Trot Murder